Excerpt from the Fourth Annual Report of the
New York State Inebriate Asylum
To the Honorable the Legislature of the State of New York, 1866
The asylum was located at Binghamton on the nineteenth day of May 1858, and the corner stone of the edifice was laid on the 24th day of September in the same year. The style of architecture in which the hospital is built is of the castellated gothic, with massive towers, turrets and buttresses embattled at the top. The design of the buildings combines prominence with neatness and beauty. All the exterior walls of the buildings are of stone. The interior and partition walls are of brick. The length of the five buildings which comprise the asylum is fourteen hundred and fifty-three feet.